Did you know…..Homes have air that is up to 10 times more polluted inside them than outside air? Whether you live in a big city or out in the country, it doesn’t matter. Some pollutants can be up to 100 times worse on the inside of the home.
Pollutants in the home may include:
- Biological Contaminants
- Vaporous Impurities
IF AND WHEN TO HAVE MY AIR DUCTS CLEANED
There are times when it is more important to have your ducts cleaned in your home. Although it is not something that needs to be on your regular home maintenance list, some things you should look for are easy to spot.
- If your home has been remodeled or renovated due to asbestos, abatement, lead paint removal, or dust in a significant amount your ductwork should be cleaned. While ducts should be sealed off while remodels and renovations are being performed, sometimes they are not which allows dangerous dust and debris to become lodged inside the ductwork.
- If you suspect or have proof of an animal infestation or nesting in your ducts. Once the animals are removed, the ductwork should be performed to assure that all feces and lingering signs of the animals are taken out of the home’s duct system.
- If you have seen mold growth inside the ductwork. Visible mold should be cleaned from the ducts to avoid illness.
- If you are noticing debris, pet hair, odors, or other contaminants being released into the room through the ducts it is a good idea to have ductwork done to avoid allergies from flaring up or developing.
- If unexplained illnesses have hit your home, and your family is suffering, you may want to consider having your ducts cleaned to avoid viruses from spreading even more.
Benefits of Air Duct Cleaning
- Save Energy and Money: The EPA suggests that a buildup of only .042 inches of dirt on a heating coil can result in a decrease of efficiency of 21%. A clean air conveyance system may help to increase efficiency and therefore may help to reduce heating and cooling costs.
- Extended Life of Equipment: System failures are caused by dirt and dust in 9 out of 10 systems. Accumulated dirt and debris on the fan that is located on the inside of your air handler that keeps the heat exchanger cool can reduce the cubic feet of air per minute as much as 50%. Having your air ducts cleaned can prevent that buildup and accumulation preventing premature breakdown and aging of your heating and cooling system.
- Indoor Air Quality: Dirty ducts don’t always mean unhealthy air in the home, but they may be contributing to larger health issues. They could be harboring contaminants that in some cases could cause serious problems for people with respiratory health conditions, autoimmune disorders or some environmental allergies. Contaminants are pulled into the HVAC system and re-circulated 5 to 7 times per day, on average. This recirculation causes a buildup of the contaminants in the duct work.
So when deciding whether or not to have your air ducts cleaned just give us a call at TNT Cleaning Company and we would be happy to discuss your options with you!