You’ll almost certainly spill on your carpets at some point. No matter what you do, your floors are at risk. Along with stains from food spills, pet urine, or nail polish, there is a chance that you’ll deal with spilled drinks on your carpet.
If you’ve spilled drinks, including coffee, wine, or juice, on your carpet, you’ll want to know precisely how to handle it before calling a professional for help. If you’re dealing with spills from drinks, we have a list of treatments you can follow to remove any potential staining without harming your carpet.
Why Is It So Hard To Remove Coffee, Wine, And Juice Stains?
Coffee, wine, and juice contain tannins. These tannins are the naturally occurring chemical that gives these beverages their dark color, which is what makes them so difficult to remove. Removal becomes even more frustrating when you add additional ingredients, like coffee creamer or sugar. The temperature of these spilled drinks adds an extra layer of frustration.
If you let these spills set, they become even more challenging to clean. If they’re dried out, you’ll need to rehydrate them if you consider cleaning them from the carpet.
How To Remove Coffee
Cleaning spilled drinks, like coffee, almost always occurs at the worst time. Whether you’re running out the door for work or getting your family ready for the day, it is an inconvenient and irritating spill to deal with. If you’ve spilled coffee on your carpet, we recommend following the steps below to remove it:
- Blot the initial spill with a dry cloth. Once the spill has been cleaned out of the carpet, pour cold water over the spill spot to dilute any remaining coffee and blot for a second time. You may repeat this process until the cloth doesn’t pick up more coffee.
- If you are still struggling to remove the stain, make a mixture of dish soap, vinegar, and warm water. This cleaning solution should be dabbed onto the stain, blotting until the stain is removed.
- Blot the spot with cold water and let the spot dry.
How To Remove Juice
If you have children running around your home, there is a possibility that your carpet has seen spilled drinks like juice. With children in the house, you’ll want to know exactly how to remove juice stains from your carpet. If you’ve spilled juice on your carpet, follow the instructions below:
- Blot the juice out of your carpet with a dry cloth or paper towel, removing as much excess liquid as possible.
- Spray the area with lukewarm water and blot again.
- Create a mixture with warm water and a few drops of dishwashing detergent. Spray the stain with the mixture and blot. Repeat as necessary.
- Spray the area with clean water and blot again, allowing the spot to fully dry.
How To Remove Wine
Spilled drinks like wine can leave dark, permanent stains on your carpet if you leave them unattended for too long. Additionally, if you scrub and aggravate the stain, it can become even worse. If you’ve spilled wine, we suggest following the steps below:
- Blot (Do not scrub) excess wine out of the carpet with a dry cloth until as much wine has been removed as possible. Wet the area with cold water and blot the carpet again.
- Create a mixture with hydrogen peroxide and dish soap. Apply the mixture to the carpet and allow it to sit for 20 minutes to an hour. Blot the stain again if the stain still remains.
- Repeat the second step as necessary and allow the spot to dry.
How To Prevent Future Staining
If you’ve finally cleaned the stains out of your carpet, you might want to consider getting a carpet protection service to make cleaning up future spilled drinks much more manageable. Your carpets are incredibly resilient to staining, but this can wear down as you live in your home. Getting carpet protection services done on your carpet can restore this resiliency, protecting the floors in your home.
Conquering Spilled Drinks With TNT Cleaning
Even after following the recommended cleaning tips, some spilled drinks just are not budging. If this is the case, you should contact a team of professional cleaners to help you out. Our TNT Cleaning team can help you clean your carpets with our professional tools and environmentally friendly products.
In addition to our carpet cleaning services, we can help you with tile and stone, air duct, upholstery, and rug cleaning. If you need help with hard to clean carpet stains or would like to schedule another service with us, contact our team today.